Cleaning and support services
There is much more to professional cleaning than meets the eye, and those who are able to show experience working in line with the high standards expected of the industry, can advance in a number of different roles within various employment settings.
Level 2 (Intermediate) Cleaning and Support Services
Who is this qualification designed for?
Level 2 is an ideal programme of study for cleaners working across a broad range of areas in a role such as:
- General or Industrial Cleaner
- Housekeeper, Caretaker or Maintenance Person
- Accommodation / Room Attendant
- Specialist Carpet and Flooring Cleaners
- Window Cleaner
- Street Cleaner
- Facilities operative
- Hygiene and Cleaning Operative
The exact activities and responsibilities covered will vary depending on your employer, but may include:
- Creating safe and hygienic environments for staff and stakeholders
- Carrying out minor repairs, striping and polishing hard floors and general maintenance such as gutter clearance.
- Answering queries from the general public and liaising with other members of staff.
As part of this qualification you will be required to undertake both mandatory and optional units. The below lists are not exhaustive and may vary depending on your employer and/or the examination board. However, those required or available might include (but are not limited to) the following:
Example mandatory units:
Communicate effectively in the workplace
Reduce risks to health and safety in the workplace
Dealing with routine and non-routine waste
Health and safety for the cleaning and support services industry
Working with customers and others in the cleaning and support services industry
Example optional units:
Clean and maintain soft floors and furnishings
Use a water-fed pole system to clean windows and facades
Work safely at heights
Maintenance and minor repairs of property
Mechanical street cleaning
The approximate duration is 12 months, with an average of 3 hours per week off-the-job learning, and 3.5 hours per week on-the-job guided learning.
For those undertaking an apprenticeship route, the additional components will be delivered alongside the core qualification.
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Maths
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills